Child Drowning Facts, Stats & Solutions
How big is the problem?
- 390 Children Drown a Year
- 75% are under 5 (293 reported younger then 5 years old)
- 58% Occurred in Pools (226 involved in-ground pools)
- A pool is 100x more likely to kill a child than a gun
How does it happen?
- 69% of parents responsible for supervising the child
- 77% were seen 5 minutes before being found in the pool
- 46% of children who drown were thought to be in the house
What is the location of pool drownings?
- 65% were in a pool owned by the child’s family
- 22% at a relatives home
- 11% at a neighbors home
Drownings happen quick and with out warning. There is NO cry for help! 77% of children had been seen 5 minutes or less before being misses and then discovered in the pool.
Where were they last seen?
- 46% thought there children were in the home (15% thought the child was sleeping)
- 23% were seen in the yard or patio – not the pool area.
- 31% we last seen in the pool or pool area
What activity was the person supervising doing?
- 39% were doing chores
- 18 percent we’re socializing
- 9 percent were busy on the telephone
How can it be prevented?
- Parent Supervision
- Pool Safety Fencing
- High Locks/Alarms On Doors and Windows
- Rescue Education, Swim Lessons, CPR, etc
THERE CAN BE NO COMPROMISES ON POOL SAFETY. YOUR ARE DEALING – LITERALLY – WITH A LIFE AND DEATH SITUATION!
Choose us over anyone else in Arizona for your pool fence! – Learn Why